Our printable Mom-and-Me Journal is an amazing way to connect with your child, build a solid relationship and create new memories along the way. Grab the free download here!
Creating a strong, open connection between you and your child is one of the most important things you can do as a parent. But it can also be one of the most challenging.
That’s why we developed our free printable Mom-and-Me Journal as a way to encourage open communication and form deeper connections.
This engaging pass back-and-forth journal is a powerful tool to build your relationship with your child. Through the thoughtful prompts, entertaining lists and space to write or draw freely, you’ll find yourself swapping stories, comparing opinions, and learning more about each other than ever before.
This journal is for you if:
- You feel like you’re not making meaningful connections with your child
- You want to have a more open relationship with your child where you can both share more of your inner thoughts and feelings
- You want to get to know your child better
- You want your child to feel safe coming to you to tell you the good and the bad
- You or your child struggle with finding the right words, but writing (or drawing) is a form of release
Our recommended age for the journal is 8+, but we have included some drawing pages that younger kids could work through, or you could sit with them to discuss the prompts and questions instead.
PIN for when you’re ready to connect with your kids:
Here’s how the Mom-and-Me Journal works:
The journal contains 64 pages with thought starters and questions ranging from fun fill-in-the-blanks, to those designed to spark deeper discussions.
Your child can choose any page to complete at any time. After they fill out a section, they will mark it with one of the accompanying bookmarks which will tell you how urgently they want a response (red = urgent; yellow = would love to hear back sooner than later; green = no rush), they’ll then leave the journal in your designated exchange spot. This could be under a pillow, in your sock drawer, on your desk, on a bookcase, etc.
(Editor’s note: Don’t under estimate the power of the secret exchange spot – kids, especially those with siblings, LOVE it. Even teenagers. It’s something just the 2 of you know about, which gives it such meaning. Try it and see for yourself!)
You’ll then complete the page (using the “mom” section), mark it with a bookmark, and leave the journal in your child’s exchange spot. You can also start a new page if you wish.
You’ll continue to pass the journal back-and-forth as you share your thoughts, insights and ultimately, a piece of your heart.
Some of the prompts include:
- “I think we’re really similar/different because…”
- “My favorite things to talk to you about are…”
- “I find it really hard to talk to you about…”
- “I get nervous when…”
- “I just have to get this off my chest…”
- “Today I want to tell you something that’s been on my mind…”
- “I wish people knew these things about me…”
- “Sometimes I can’t sleep because I’m thinking about…”
- “I wish I knew how to…”
- “You make me feel special when…”
Plus: fun fill-in-the-blanks, would-you-rathers, favorite things and more!
Download it for free, right here, no strings attached!
Most sites would charge for a printable of this scale (64 pages!), but we so strongly believe that this journal can help you and your child’s relationship, that we are more than happy to provide it to you for free.
To gain access to the PDF, simply leave your email in the box below and we’ll send you the link to download directly to your inbox:
Soon your child will see that if they’re having a hard day, the journal can become their outlet. Not only will it strengthen the bond between you, but it can open the door to face-to-face discussions on topics that otherwise may not have been brought up.
It’s a really powerful tool that can show your child how important they are to you, and make them feel truly loved and respected.
We can’t wait for you to try it!