These easy craft ideas using TP rolls are the perfect way to recycle your empty cardboard tubes while keeping your kids entertained with fun projects. Total win-win!
Of all the fancy craft supplies you could stock your home with, you would be hard pressed to find one more versatile than a plain and simple toilet paper roll.
So rather than tossing your empty cardboard tubes, save them and let your kids turn them into an awesome art project.
To help inspire your children’s creativity, we’ve rounded up the ultimate list of easy toilet paper roll crafts for kids. Whether they like cute animals, flowers, exploring nature, or want to create a DIY version of their favorite character, this list has it all.
These cardboard tube craft ideas can be enjoyed by all ages, from toddlers to tweens. And bonus – most of them can be completed with simple supplies you likely already have at home.
So grab those empty toilet paper rolls and get creating!
PIN for when you want ideas for crafts using TP rolls:
Animal Toilet Paper Roll Crafts
Do you have an animal lover on your hands? If so, you’re in luck! We’ve pulled all of the best paper tube animal crafts for kids that span a vast range of species, from cuddly farm critters to deep sea creatures.
We love that you can use these animal toilet paper crafts to teach your kids about different wildlife, and then watch their imaginations soar as they use them to play.
(1) You’ll be King of the Seas with this easy Shark DIY craft – perfect for celebrating Shark Week! (via Gluesticks and Gumdrops)
(2) Paint your paper tube with pretty ocean colors to create this stunning cardboard tube Jellyfish. (via Crafts by Amanda)
(3) We promise no one will be feeling crabby after creating this fun toilet paper roll Crab! Grab some construction paper and pipe cleaners to get started. (via Fun Money Mom)
(4) Head outside and collect items from nature (leaves, twigs, etc.) to create these incredible paper tube Nature Fish. (via Hello, Wonderful)
(5) Take a deep dive and teach your kids about the ocean with this fun Humpback Whale toilet paper roll craft. It even comes with a free template to download. (via Simple Everyday Mom)
(6) If you cut it the right way, you’ll only need one empty toilet roll to make this adorable Narwhal. (via Ocean Child Crafts)
(7) Bundle up for a trip to the Arctic with this fun toilet paper roll Walrus! Simply download the free template, print, cut and assemble. (via Simple Everyday Mom)
(8) Little hands can practice cutting with scissors, tuning their fine motor skills, while making this cool toilet paper roll Octopus. (via In the Playroom)
(9) Streamers add a beautiful and colorful touch to these Japanese Flying Karp. (via Squirelly Minds)
(10) Flatten your toilet rolls and paint them in an array of different colors to create your very own School of Fish. (via Crafts by Amanda)
(1) Isn’t this one of the cutest toilet roll crafts ever?! And you don’t need any fancy craft supplies to create this family of Panda bears, just construction paper and a black marker. (via Non-Toy Gifts)
(2) How darling is this Bear card – it’s a cute craft that doubles as a card for a friend! (via Hello, Wonderful)
(3) You’ll love this silly, stripey Zebra made from 2 toilet paper rolls – or cut a kitchen paper towel roll instead! (via Easy Peasy and Fun)
(4) This cardboard tube Tiger is easy enough for toddlers to tackle and comes out as friendly or ferocious as you make it! (via Creative Family Fun)
(5) Create your own toilet paper roll zoo by making this collection of Jungle Animals, including a monkey, elephant, crocodile and an entire lion family! (via Frugal Fun 4 Boys)
(6) This Koala is so cute, we almost want to cuddle up with it! (via Red Ted Art)
(7) How incredible is this adorable Swinging Monkey with his dangling legs and arms?! (via Ocean Child Crafts)
(8) This colorful Cardboard Tube Parrot makes us think of sunny days and is an easy way for kids to practice their scissor skills. (via Kids Craft Room)
(1) These colorful Love Bugs are a great open-ended toilet paper roll craft can even hold some Valentine’s Day treats. (via Kitchen Counter Chronicles)
(2) Ribbit, ribbit! This super creative toilet paper toll Frog becomes an interactive toy that kids love. (via Messy Little Monster)
(3) This super simple Spider craft is great for all ages, even toddlers can join in on the fun and practice their fine motor skills threading the pipe cleaner legs. (via Simple Everyday Mom)
(4) Use this colorful toilet paper roll Butterfly to teach your kids about symmetry and the caterpillar lifecycle. (via The Best Ideas for Kids)
(5) We love crafts that serve a purpose – this toilet paper roll Worm Pencil Holder is a great way to organize your child’s art supplies. (via Mess for Less)
(6) Add a tea light to these fun paper roll Fireflies and they actually glow! (via One Little Project)
(7) Pom poms give this Coiled Caterpillar his legs for a fun toilet paper roll art project. (via Crafts by Amanda)
(8) This cute Yarn Bumblebee is a great cardboard tube craft for spring and will certainly cause a buzz with your kids! (via Buggy and Buddy)
(9) Speaking of little critters that are fun to find, try creating these loo roll Ladybugs – your kids will love decorating their wings. (via Easy Peasy and Fun)
(1) What do you call a goat that can’t stop laughing? A silly billy! Laugh a little together while you make this sweet paper roll Goat with your kids. (via Crafts by Amanda)
(2) Take a roll in the mud by making a pink cardboard tube Pig – add a curly pipe cleaner tail in the back for an extra fun touch! (via Artsy Craftsy Mom)
(3) Be intentional with practicing gratitude with this Thankful Turkey – a great activity to do with the kids for Thanksgiving. (via Kids Activities)
(4) Grab some cotton balls, and make a precious fluffy Lamb – the perfect Easter toilet paper roll craft. (via Crafts by Amanda)
(5) These bright and happy toilet paper roll Chicks take only about 5 minutes to make and are easy enough for kids to do by themselves. (via One Little Project)
Dinos, Dragons & Fantasy Creatures
(1) Is a fantasy world ever complete without unicorns? Your kids will love creating this pretty Unicorn toilet paper roll craft with a curled ribbon mane. (via Fun Money Mom)
(2) Or swap the ribbon for yarn with these rainbow Unicorns. (via Red Ted Art)Got a dinosaur lover?
(3) This Fire Breathing Dragon Blower is not only cute, but interactive! Kids will love blowing “fire” through the paper tube. (via One Little Project)
(4) With his curly beard and magic wand, this toilet paper roll Wizard craft is one of our favorites. (via One Little Project)
(5) Keep your eyes on the seas to find a Mermaid! (via Molly Moo)
(6) Save your empty loo rolls to create an assortment of colorful Monsters with googly eyes and construction paper. (via Kids Activities)
(7) Why not make your own paper roll Dinosaurs that your kids can play with. (via The Craft Train)
(8) Alternatively, grab some yarn and get your kids working those fine motor muscles by wrapping an empty cardboard tube. The only problem is that these Yarn Monsters might need a haircut! (via Dayna Bayna)
(9) Celebrate Chinese New Year with this impressive Chinese New Year Dragon. (via Jinxy Kids)
Even more animals!
(1) Forget the traditional animals, this quirky Toilet Paper Roll Yak is totally unique. (via Red Ted Art)
(2) Your kids will get plenty of scissor cutting practice making this Pretty Peacock. (via Easy Peasy and Fun)
(3) Who-ooo loves owls? We do! We especially when they’re as darling as this toilet paper roll Owl. (via Moms and Crafters)
(4) Or how about this sweet Owl Gift Box? Perfect for small gifts or holding all the tiny treasures that kids find. (via Red Ted Art)
(5) Use these toilet paper roll Groundhogs to teach your kids about Groundhog Day – there’s 2 variations, one more suitable to toddlers, and one for preschoolers and older. (via Red Ted Art)
(6) Kids will love playing with these Coiled Snakes over and over again. (via Crafts by Amanda)
(7) You’ve seen origami swans, but how about a rainbow of toilet paper roll swans? (via The Craft Train)
(8) These Bats are a fun toilet paper roll craft idea for Halloween time. (via Simply Everyday Mom)
(9) Channel your inner Dorothy and create your own Wizard of Oz Scarecrow. (via Red Ted Art)
(10) How sweet is this heart Dalmatian Puppy?! One of the easiest toilet paper roll crafts for young children. (via Crafts on Sea)
(11) This sweet TP roll Bunny Rabbit is an easy Easter craft for kids to make and display. (via The Best Ideas for Kids)
(12) We also love this modern take on a toilet paper roll Bunny from The DIY Dreamer.
(13) Cut up an empty paper towel roll, or recycle several toilet paper tubes to make this Washi Tape Snake. (via I Heart Crafty Things)
(14) Repurpose your toilet paper rolls into an adorable Hedgehog. Simple Everyday Mom makes it easy with a printable template!
TV, Movie & Book Characters Toilet Paper Roll Crafts
Your kids will love making these familiar characters from their favorite books, movies, and cartoons. And all you need to start is an empty toilet paper roll!
(1) The cold won’t bother this toilet paper roll Olaf. (via Simple Everyday Mom)
(2) “Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your long hair!” We love this pretty toilet paper roll version of Rapunzel, perfect for any princess lover. (via Ruffles and Rainboots)
(3) The force is strong with this Hans Solo inspired Star Wars craft. (via Ruffles and Rainboots)
(4, 5) But don’t forget his trusty friends, R2D2 (via Frosting and Glue) and Baby Yoda! (via Simple Everyday Mom)
(6) “Hey! Get me outta here!” If there ever was a lovable, trash to treasure story, it’s Forky from Toy Story, and we are definitely here for this sweet toilet paper roll version! (via Simple Everyday Mom)
(7) Channel your inner super hero with a cardboard tube Batman. (via Crafts by Amanda)
(8) You can’t help but love these awesome Minion toilet paper roll characters. (via Mom Does Reviews)
(9) We love that these Dr. Seuss characters, Thing 1 and Thing 2, are made using your child’s handprint– they’re a fun craft and keepsake all in one! (via My Joy Filled Life)
(10) Put on your listening ears and practice kindness with this sweet Horton Hears a Who Craft. (via Artsy Craftsy Mom)
(11) Or make this fun Toilet Paper Roll Lorax for even more Dr. Seuss fun. (via Artsy Craftsy Mom)
(12) Run, run as fast as you can, you’re going to love this Gingerbread Man! (via Our Kid Things)
(13) We think this classic Hello Kitty toilet paper roll craft is just the sweetest. (via Hawaii Travel With Kids)
(14) Or try this adorable take on Hello Kitty instead, complete with a glitter pasta bow! (via Crafts by Courtney)
(15) Practice your ninja moves with a toilet paper roll Ninja – we love the use of straws! (via Kids Activities Blog)
(16) Use the free printable to create these incredible Mickey Mouse Clubhouse characters – come inside, it’s fun inside! (via Oh Partyland)
(17) Ahoy, Matey! Grab your supplies and create a fun Pirate – a great easy TP roll craft that uses a free template you can color, cut and glue. (via ConservaMom)
(18) Of course, you can’t forget your trusty sidekick. This Pirate and Parrot make the perfect pair! (via Artsy Craftsy Mom)
(19) Gotta catch ‘em all – or at least this one. This toilet paper roll Pikachu is perfect for your Pokémon fan! (via Frosting and Glue)
(20) You can practice re-telling a Halloween favorite with this Room on the Broom book-themed craft using a longer paper towel roll. (via Days with Grey)
(21) Bring your favorite storybook characters to life with this Where the Wild Things Are inspired toilet paper roll craft, then snuggle up and act it out together. (via Hello, Wonderful)
(22) Have fun learning about American history with this iconic Statue of Liberty craft. (via A Little Pinch of Perfect)
(23) If you have a gamer at home, they will love this toilet paper roll craft inspired by Minecraft, which comes with a free template. (via ConservaMom)
(24) Pet by day, detective by night, Phineas and Ferb fans will love making their very own Perry the Platypus. (via Crafts by Courtney)
(25) Heroes in a half shell, or a paper tube – either way, these Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are sure to be a hit! (via Crafts by Courtney)
Nature Toilet Paper Roll Crafts
Use these nature inspired toilet paper roll craft ideas as a way to get outside and explore with your kids.
(1) Make an easy cardboard tube Bird Feeder with an empty toilet roll, peanut butter and bird seed and you’ll get to practice bird watching too! (via Fireflies and Mudpies)
(2) Upcycle your paper towel rolls into these gorgeous Rainmakers – they’re great for talking about weather, and for musical play as well. (via Pink Stripey Socks)
(3) We love how pretty these cardboard tube Rainbow Blowers are. Get creative as you design your own. (via Kids Craft Room)
(4) How sweet are these Mini Birdhouse Ornaments? A fun way to celebrate nature indoors. (via Rhythms of Play)
(5) We love the colorful hole punch “shingles” on these little Birdhouses. (via Hello, Wonderful)
(6) What will you spot with these toilet paper roll Binoculars? (via Crafting with Kids)
(7) Your kids will love creating these beautiful Nature Bracelets, hunting for special treasures to display on their wrists while getting plenty of fresh air in the process. (via Danya Banya)
Things that Grow: Flowers & Food Toilet Paper Roll Crafts
While we’ve got nature on our mind, these plants and food themed toilet paper roll crafts look pretty enough to pick (or eat)!
(1) Who doesn’t love a fresh flower bouquet? The best part about this cardboard roll Bouquet of Flowers is that it will last and last – no water required! (via Pink Stripey Socks)
(2) Make your very own flower garden with these pretty paper roll Flowers. (via My Joy Filled Life)
(3) Or opt for these beautiful Tissue Paper Flowers. (via Buggy and Buddy)
(4) If you’ve got a sunny window, these cardboard tube Suncatcher Flowers will be perfect for your little ones to make. (via A Little Pinch of Perfect)
(5) These colorful Paper tube Cacti will brighten any room. (via Hello, Wonderful)
(6) For another spin on those desert plants, this Cactus craft is a lot cuter and less prickly than the real thing! (via The Best Ideas for Kids)
(7) Is there anything sweeter than little fingerprints? This Fingerprint Tree Craft is simple enough for even toddlers, and can be used for all seasons. (via Our Kid Things)
(8) Learn about the parts of an apple with this simple Apple Core paper roll craft. (via Non-Toy Gifts)
(9) This Corn on the Cob toilet paper roll craft will have you smiling from ear to ear…quite literally! (via Hispana Global)
(10) If you’re feeling lucky, these Clovers and Shamrocks are super easy to make, and a great St. Patrick’s Day craft. (via Rhythms of Play)
(11) Whether it’s summer time where you are, or only in your mind, this Pineapple and Watermelon craft looks good enough to eat. (via Two Kids and a Coupon)
Things that Go: Vehicle Toilet Paper Roll Crafts
Trains, planes and automobiles! Get moving with these fun toilet paper roll vehicle crafts that make great interactive toys once the art project is complete.
(1) All aboard the fun express! Save your bottle caps and paper rolls to create this awesome Train. (via Kids Activities Blog)
(2) Save your squeezy pouch caps for wheels and get rolling with these awesome cardboard tube Cars. Once you’ve made your cars, have a fun race to see which one is the fastest. (via A Little Pinch of Perfect)
(3) Or plunge down deep with this colorful toilet paper roll Submarine. (via Crafty Morning)
(4) You’ll be sure to earn your pilot wings when you take to the skies with these Airplanes, complete with moveable propellers! (via Pink Stripey Socks)
Out of This World Toilet Paper Roll Crafts
3, 2, 1, blast off with these cardboard tube craft ideas that will take your kids on an adventure into another galaxy.
(1) Get ready to launch with this cool toilet paper roll Rocket Ship. (via Mom Brite)
(2) Streamers add a fun touch to this version of a TP roll Rocket. (via Red Ted Art)
(3) Grab your space suit and favorite figurines to board these Space Shuttles for a fun trip to the moon. (via A Little Pinch of Perfect)
(4) There’s no rules when creating these colorful Aliens – how you envision them looking is completely up to you! (via Artsy Craftsy Mom)
(5) Beep-boop-beep boop! These loo roll Robots will use up all of your old odds and ends. (via Artsy Momma)
Super-Sized Toilet Paper Roll Crafts
Go big or go home! If you’re really feeling adventurous, these extra-large toilet paper roll crafts really go the extra mile!
(1) This huge toilet paper roll Snake gets a big YESSSSSS from us! (via Kids Activities)
(2) Pretend to be King or Queen for the day with your very own toilet paper roll Castle. (via Red Ted Art)
(3) Stand tall with this epic toilet paper roll Giraffe, it will use up all of your empty cardboard rolls all at once! (via Taming Little Monsters)
(4) Or move and groove with these fun dancing Giraffe Marionettes. (via Red Ted Art)
(5) Put on a show with this adorable Puppy Marionette Puppet. (via Parents)
RELATED: Want more easy project ideas for your children? Try one of these 100+ Easy Science Experiments for Kids To Do at Home (Using Materials You Already Have!)
Other Fun Toilet Paper Roll Crafts for Kids
The toilet paper roll might be one of the most humble craft supplies, but the possibilities really are endless when it comes to creating with them. From puppets to pencil holders, the cardboard tube can do it all!
(1) Hop into your very own fantasy land! A Mushroom House will make the perfect home in your fairy garden. (via Artsy Craftsy Mom)
(2) Be sure to make a few Toadstool Lanterns to complete your make-believe land. (via Moms and Crafters)
(3) Or try creating this insanely easy toilet paper roll craft, a House for your child’s small figurines, that also upcycles your egg crates! (via Finding Myself Young)
(4) Now you’re ready to save the city! That is, if you build it first! These City Build & Play Stacking Blocks let kids create their very own cities and towns. (via Kids Activities)
(5) Put your engineering skills to the test by creating a DIY Marble Run. (via Powerful Mothering)
(6) Make these cool toilet paper roll Clothespin Puppets using the free template – it comes with tons of different facial features and accessories that you can mix and match. (via Moms and Crafters)
(7) How amazing are these toilet paper roll Crayons?! The hardest part will be deciding which color to make first! (via The Best Ideas for Kids)
(8) We love this Pencil Tube craft for a fun back-to-school or Teacher Appreciation Week idea – you can even fill them with small goodies! (via Hello, Wonderful)
(9) This paper roll Cat Pencil Holder is a creative way to keep school and craft supplies organized. (via Hello, Wonderful)
(10) Or if you’re not a cat person, your supplies will look great in this Bear Family Pencil Holder. (via Ocean Child Craft)
(11) There will be some competition between kids of all ages with a friendly game of Paper Tube Bowling. (via Color Made Happy)
(12) This simple craft creates a fun Ball & Cup Game that will entertain your kids long after it’s complete. (via Hello, Wonderful)
(13) You’ll be seeing fun up ahead when you make a sweet pair of these Toilet Roll Glasses – which will you make first, the pineapple or the rainbow? (via Pink Stripey Socks)
(14) Channel your inner superhero by making these easy Superhero Cuffs from your empty rolls. (via Rachael Rabbit)
(15) Elevate your style with these beautiful 3D Butterfly Bracelets. (via The Best Ideas for Kids)
(16) These toilet paper roll Popsicles are the best easy craft for summer – they look good enough to eat! (via Little Ladoo)
(17) These fun candy-filled mini Piñatas are an adorable addition to any celebration. (via Kimspired DIY)
(18) Put your party pants on with these bright and colorful Confetti Party Poppers – they’re perfect for New Year’s Eve, or any other celebration. (via Hello, Wonderful)
(19) Make your own rainbow writing with these Paper Roll Scribblers. (via The Craft Train)
(20) And if you like rainbows, you will love this colorful Rainbow Mobile. (via Crafts by Amanda)
(21) Keep little hands busy creating Bubble Wrap and Paper Roll Art with paper towel rolls and colorful paint. (via Days with Grey)
(22) This fun Pirate spyglass is the perfect craft for any budding “Matey”. (via Desert Chica)
(23) For a great winter-time craft, try this Paper Roll Snowflake Painting idea which uses a cardboard tube to create a snowy stamp. (via Mommy Evolution)
Are your creative gears moving yet? Hopefully this list has given you some fun ideas of toilet paper roll crafts that you can do at home with your kids. Create your own cardboard tube stash for rainy days, quiet time activities, and craft time fun – the possibilities are endless!
Which toilet paper roll craft will you make first? Be sure to let us know in the comments below.
Mary Leigh is a stay-at-home mom to 3 fun and active boys. She started her blog, Live Well Play Together, as a creative way to encourage moms to celebrate the simple, everyday moments in motherhood. You can most often find her writing about kids’ activities, thoughts on motherhood, and simple ideas for family fun. Follow her on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter for fun ideas to bring a little fun to your everyday!