This easy chicken meatball recipe is perfect for a quick weeknight family meal and they’re made with healthy, simple ingredients (including veggies!).
Meatballs make a perfect family meal, but they can be labor intensive and not as nutrient-rich as we’d like…until now. Our healthy Spanakopita Chicken Meatballs are easy to make, kid-approved and full of nutritious goodness!
A play on the traditional Greek Spanakopita appetizer, they include a whole bag of spinach, plus a little feta cheese for a powerful zing of flavor. They’re made without breadcrumbs (instead using almond flour and parmesan cheese), resulting in a delicious low-carb and keto friendly meal.
And to make them tender and juicy on the inside, but with the perfect crisp on the outside, we cook them up in one of our new favorite gadgets, the Air Fryer. In less than 30 minutes, we have dinner on the table that is packed with dark leafy greens (we swear your kids won’t even know!) and can be enjoyed by the whole family.
Try our healthy Air Fryer Spanakopita Chicken Meatballs on top of regular or grain-free pasta, zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice for a healthy weeknight meal.
Note: this post contains affiliate links, for more information, please see our disclosure policy.
PIN for when you’re ready to make some juicy, delicious meatballs!
If you don’t already have an air fryer, or are looking to upgrade, we highly recommend the Ninja 1550 Watt – this model is extremely reliable in producing foods with a crispy exterior texture and enables you to use 75% less fat than traditional frying methods. It’s also able to roast, reheat and dehydrate!
Healthy Air Fryer Spanakopita Chicken Meatballs
- 1 bag baby spinach
- 2 tsp garlic divided
- ¼ cup sundried tomatoes drained
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup feta
- ¾ cup almond flour
- Combine spinach, 1 tsp of garlic and sundried tomatoes in a food processor and run until mixture is a paste-like consistency. Add in 1 tsp water as needed if mixture gets too thick.
- In a large bowl, combine ground chicken, salt and pepper, cheese, almond flour and remaining 1 tsp of garlic.
- Add spinach mixture to chicken mixture and combine until incorporated, but do not overwork.
- Using a standard cookie scoop, scoop out a ball of the meatball mixture. Cut the meatball down the center to create two smaller meatballs. Repeat until all meat has been used (approximately 20-24 meatballs).
- Add meatballs to an air fryer sprayed with cooking spray. Cook at 400F for 10 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer reads 165F.
- Top meatballs with your favorite marinara sauce and serve over zoodles or whole grain noodles.