75 Unique Gender Reveal Ideas Worthy of Your Big Announcement
Looking for unique gender reveal ideas? We’ve got 75 fun, cute and easy ideas to inspire you!
Trying to find some creative ideas to make your gender reveal extra special? Whether you’re looking for a classic and simple way to reveal at a small gathering, or want to go all out with a bang, we’ve rounded up some of the best, unique ideas that are sure to spark your imagination.
Many of these ideas can be customized to include siblings, and create a perfect photo opp that you can share with your baby down the road. Whatever you decide, you can’t go wrong celebrating pink or blue!
Please note: this post contains affiliate links. See our disclosure policy for full details.
PIN for when your want some creative gender reveal ideas:
gender reveal with balloons
If you’re in a room full of guests, or just keeping it simple with your family at home, revealing your baby’s gender is fun and easy with balloons! Incorporate them into a game, or pair them with confetti for a “pop” of fun – the ideas are limitless.
(2) Older Child Surprises with Balloon Bundle: Another great way to get your older child(ren) involved with the big reveal is to have them surprise you with a blue or pink bundle of balloons. You can have a trusted adult pick up the balloons and them hand them off to your kids for the big reveal. @sazan has an adorable example of this idea where their child hid in another room and then surprised the parents with the balloons.
(3) DIY Colored Powder in Balloon: It’s actually pretty simple to make your own colored powder in blue or pink – check out the recipe from Ali-ish.com. Then go ahead and fill into a balloon, ready to pop!
(6) Balloon Letter Box: Adding in some giant letter balloons to spell out the gender like The Cake By Hannah, will make the surprise even more fun.
(7) Custom Balloon Box: Don’t feel like making your own box? It’s easy to order a custom one, complete with your last name.
(8) Gift Bag Balloon Reveal: Swap out the big box for gift bags, and give one to each of your children (or nieces, nephews, grandparents, etc). Place a balloon inside and tie it closed with a simple ribbon. Then have them open in unison. (via Mumstastic.com)
(10) He or She Pop To See: This kit includes all you need to make an exciting gender reveal game. Simply assemble and throw darts to pop the balloons. Once you pop 3 pink or 3 blue balloons, you will find out the gender of the baby!
(11) Pop the Belly Game: How fun is this balloon pop set-up via Smudge? Fill the balloons with white paint, and one with pink or blue. Keep it clean by throwing darts, or get messy and use a pin to pop!
gender reveal with confetti
Nothing says “party” or “celebration” like confetti! Confetti is a fun and easy way to add a whimsical touch to your party, and definitely a playful way to be incorporated into your gender reveal.
(1) Confetti Poppers: Keep it simple and reveal your baby’s gender with a Confetti Popper. These little poppers are the life of the party, whether you’re the one revealing the secret, or if every guest has one for themselves! (photo via @poofthereitisreveals)
Confetti Cannon Roulette: This is a super fun way to hype up the anticipation of the big reveal. Grab this Confetti Cannon Roulette Set with 6 cannons: 5 of them have white confetti, and 1 of them with pink or blue. Simply roll the dice and shoot off the cannon with the corresponding number. Eventually you will shoot off the surprise cannon just like Fit Mommy in Heels.
(2) Butterfly Confetti: If you choose to use confetti poppers for your reveal, make it unique by using confetti in the shape of butterflies. It makes for an even more magical experience with little butterflies twirling in the sky!
(3) Confetti, Streamers and Powder: These ultimate poppers combine confetti, streamers and powder for a reveal that can’t be missed!
(4) Rent a Confetti Machine: If you’re looking for a large amount of confetti to fill an area, or to make an extra bold appearance in photos, then renting a confetti machine will do just the trick. Check out the amount of confetti that made for an awesome picture from @jessi1012.
(5) Confetti Inside Eggs: This idea is truly unique! These are called Cascarones, which are eggs filled with confetti. They are made out of real eggs that are carefully emptied and dyed, then filled with confetti and re-covered with paper. You then crack the eggs open on each other’s head for the reveal. Guests can also join in on the fun – check out how the Vintage Modern Wife used this idea.
(6) Pull String Pinata: Get showered with confetti with this fun DIY Pull-String Pinata from Funny Beautiful. Crafted from a paper lantern, it differs from a traditional piñata because you can easily open it with the pull of a string. Great for including young siblings!
(7) Confetti Box: Alternatively, fill a cardboard box with pink or blue confetti like this example from Kara’s Party Ideas. Hang it up high and attach a string to reveal the surprise.
Gender reveal with food
You can’t have a Gender Reveal party without feeding your guests, so why not turn the food into the main event. Go classic with cake, or opt for cookies, donuts, or even a pie to the face!
Classic Cake Reveal: You simply cannot go wrong with everyone’s favorite party dessert…cake! Whether you have one created at a bakery, or trust a close family member or friend to bake one for you, slicing a cake to reveal pink or blue on the inside is a fun way to learn the news, and makes a delicious memory for all.
(1) Learn how to create ombre cake layers in pink and blue, and get beautiful slices like this one from Style Me Pretty.
(2) Pipe “It’s a…” on top of the cake and fill with pink or blue frosting to reveal the gender. (via Two Twenty One)
(3) This fun Pinata Cake from Sweet and Savory by Shinee will spill out pink or blue candies and sprinkles when cut!
(4) Cupcake Reveal: If you want your guests to share in revealing the surprise, these Gender Reveal Cupcakes will show pink or blue inside. Have everyone take a bite together! (via Dessert Now Dinner Later)
(7) Cookie Surprise: Cookies are the perfect dessert and party favor, but cookies filled with pink or blue candies are the center of the fun at a gender reveal party! We’re obsessed with how cute these onesie cookies turned out from Craftstorming.com.
(8) Donut Reveal: Sweet gooey donuts are the perfect vessel to hold a tinted Boston Cream style filling – your guests will savor every pink or blue bite. Learn how to make them at Hunger Thirst Play.
(9) Pie in the Face: If you don’t mind getting a little (okay, A LOT) messy, this Pie in the Face idea is fun for all involved. Cover a layer of pink or blue whipped cream with regular white, then go splat! The colored cream will shine through for all to see. (via Remodelaholic)
Have a Blindfolded Taste Test! We love this unique idea – have some sort of pink or blue-themed food or treat made in either strawberry (for a girl) or blueberry (for a boy) flavors and then take a bite blindfolded to let the flavor reveal your baby’s gender! We love the way @magicballoonspty pulled this off.
gender reveal with paint
These creative gender reveal ideas using paint may be a little messy, but the impact of the reveal, and the stunning photos thereafter will be well worth the clean-up.
(1) Paint Toss on Canvas: Reveal the gender in a unique way AND create a lasting keepsake that can be displayed as abstract art in your baby’s nursery. Find out how on Project Nursery.
(2) Umbrella Paint Pour: An unmarked can of paint and a see-thru umbrella make for an epic reveal, and is a super fun idea to involve the kids. (via @howwelife)
(3) Umbrella Paint Pour with Family: Or grab the whole family like Mumsgrapevine and huddle under the umbrella together while a friend or family member does the pouring. Wear white shirts and have fun with the paint afterwards for some great photographs (and memories!).
(4) NO Umbrella Paint Pour! For the truly brave, toss the umbrella and grab some goggles instead. Go big using buckets of “paint” (or tinted water) for the ultimate reveal.
(5, 6) Super Soaker Surprise: Turn yourself into a blank canvas by dressing in white and filling Super Soaker guns with pink or blue-colored paint/water. Shoot each other for the big reveal like this family did on the beach (photography via Katie Weber), or opt to hand over the guns to your guests and have them take aim instead! (via Courtney Macon Photography).
(7) Paint Fight: Alternatively, fill a squeeze bottle with paint and engage in a playful paint fight! Get some inspiration here from A Crafted Passion.
(8) Archery Balloon Pop: For a less-mess option, we love this archery reveal from Sweet Miles. Simply pin a balloon filled with pink or blue paint to a board, then distance yourself and aim for your target. Once you pop it, the paint color is revealed!
(9) Painted Hand Prints: Keep it classic and simple with pink or blue handprints on a white shirt. Create the shirt in advance if you already know the gender, then reveal it to your guests for the big moment. Or, have your partner (or older child) put on the handprints during the reveal (they could even be blindfolded so you both find out at the same time!).
gender reveal with sports & hobbies
If you’re a family full of sports lovers or have a special hobby, then you’re really going to get into this next group of unique ideas! These are more suited for an outdoor reveal, but they make for some dramatic photos, and really amp up the excitement for an unforgettable day.
(1) For the Golf Lover: If golf is your bag, then swinging a club to smash a ball full of colored smoke or confetti is the perfect way to introduce the big reveal. Check out The Cheeky Bean for some golf inspiration, and grab your own reveal golf ball here.
(2, 3) For the Baseball Fan: Batters up! Have your partner throw a special reveal baseball to you (or vice versa), and swing for the fences. The impact will release colored powder in pink or blue! Have older kids? Place it on a tee for them instead.
(4) Soccer Players Unite: Get ready to kick and reveal! If soccer is your sport of choice, grab a gender reveal soccer ball, then kick it to reveal the gender! See it in action here from @poofthereitisreveals.
(5) Boxing Punch: If you know your jab from your right hook, this reveal is for you! With a simple Reveal Pack, you can stick it to punching mitts or a punching bag, and then take a hit to unleash either pink or blue powder.
(6) Tennis Lovers Serve it up: Hide a smoke bomb or colored confetti inside a tennis ball (or purchase pre-made here) and then serve with all your might! This is a great idea for a family full of tennis players or those that belong to a sports/country club.
(8) Bowling Ball: Aim for a strike and the impact of the ball to the pins will release pink or blue powder. Just don’t get a gutter ball! (via Amazing Gender Reveals)
(9) For the Horse Lovers: Maybe it’s your first rodeo, but you’ll look like total pros if you pull off a reveal led by horses! Check out this unique reveal from @marceloargentophotography where they had Cowboy dad lasso an unboxing of colored balloons.
(10, 11) Shooting Practice: Etsy shop Poof There It Is carries a variety of gender reveal targets that will release colored powder when shot, including Skeet targets, hanging targets, and a powder box.
(12) Say it with a Slam Dunk: Love basketball? Grab a gender reveal basketball and show it off with a slam dunk, trick shot, or simple lay-up.
gender reveal around the holidays
What could be more exciting than planning your gender reveal surprise around the holidays? These holiday-themed ideas will easily give you another reason to celebrate!
(1) Hidden Tree with Pink/Blue Ornaments: Have a family member decorate a Christmas tree with pink or blue ornaments (or invite each guest to put one on) while you hide on the other side of a partition. Once the tree is decked, take a peek to find out boy or girl! Check out Your Merry Mailbox for inspiration.
(2) Christmas Lights Reveal: If you’re looking for a fun idea to share the gender of your baby with your family at Christmas time, then grab some pink and blue decorations, and fancy up the tree! Just don’t turn the lights on until you’re ready to reveal. Once ready, plug in the lights with either pink or blue to show off the news to your family! We love how Katie Logen pulled this off.
(3) Smoke from Santa’s Bag: Santa sent an early present this year…the gender of your baby! Use a gender reveal smoke bomb for this cool effect.
(4) Christmas Ornament Reveal: Have a friend or relative fill this Gender Reveal Christmas Ornament with pink or blue glitter or confetti, and open together on Christmas morning. The best part is, you’ll have the keepsake ornament forever.
(5) Christmas Stocking Reveal: If you’re not looking to get together for your big news, but just want some cute photos to share on social media or to your family, then grab some Christmas props! A themed ornament or a pink or blue stocking is the perfect photo reveal for your Christmas card! We love the stocking that A Buyer’s Guide showed off for their holiday reveal.
(6) Powder in a Pumpkin: Colored smoke makes for a spooky sweet reveal coming out of a carved pumpkin (via Gender Reveal Celebrations)
(7) Baby Pumpkin: Another fun idea for a Fall or Halloween reveal: paint a small pumpkin either pink or blue, and place inside a larger one. When the big moment arrives, pull it out for all to see. Or snap a pic to send to friends and family.
Say it with Fireworks: If you’re planning your reveal around 4th of July, break the news with a bang! Set off some blue or pink fireworks for guests to see.
more easy gender reveal ideas
Sometimes classic ideas are simply the best. These ideas can be done minimally, at a large party, or even revealed over a Zoom call! Enjoy the fun as a couple at home or in the company of your closest friends and family.
(1) Photo Shoot Fun: If you don’t necessarily want a party, but just some great photos to share with your loved ones, then go all out with an amazing backdrop! Add a seamless pink or blue solid background, dozens of balloons, and spell it out with a letterboard or banner. You can even rent out specialty letters from an event planning agency like this over-the-top setup from The Fashion Hour.
(2) Say it in Smoke: A smoke reveal is simple, fun, and makes for some amazing photos! You can purchase these smoke powder cannons online in an array of colors.
(3) Powder Celebration: Or get all the guests involved by giving them a small cup of powder, and throw it up at the same time. Makes for some stunning photos, like these from Dreamtown.
(4) Silly String: There’s so many fun ways to get creative with a Silly String reveal. Conceal the cans like on Lively Happenings, so you and your guests don’t know the color inside, then have them fire away. You can choose to be blind-folded like Little Mrs Preschool, or grab a can and spray your partner at the same time.
(5) Forever Flowers: Everyone loves flowers – especially timeless roses! A surprise bouquet in blue or pink could never disappoint, especially if you order preserved roses, which can last a year or longer with proper care. Look how stunning these are from Outfits and Outings!
(6) Present Opening: Unwrap a present in front of your guests that contains a pair of pink or blue baby shoes, or a tiny outfit. You’ll be able to keep the “gift” as a keepsake.
(7, 8) Piñata Fun: Piñatas are always the life of the party! Why not fill one with pink or blue confetti or themed candies. Your guests can even get in on the fun by taking their chance up to bat! Check out some inspiration from @ancoraphotography, and make it easy on yourself by grabbing a cute, pre-made gender reveal piñata on Etsy.
more unique gender reveal ideas
Looking for a very creative and non-traditional reveal idea for your gender reveal party? Let the following serve as inspiration to take your big news to the next level!
(1, 2) Pink or Blue Exhaust: Love cars? Having an outdoor party? This fun idea involves using pink or blue smoke in your exhaust so that you can speed off into your future, ready for that little one! You can use them for cars and motorcycles.
(3) Ball Smash: We love how @poofthereitisreveals shows off this dramatic ball smash session – talk about a stress reliever!
(4) Rubber Duck Fizz: Boy or girl, “Waddle it be?” These fun rubber ducks from 9byNeetz sit on a bath-bomb that dissolves in warm water to reveal your baby’s gender. Great to do with your close family or at a small gathering.
(5,6) Volcano Reveal: Head back to science class and create a mini volcano for your reveal. Set off a smoke bomb inside, or do the traditional baking soda and vinegar experiment (adding in either pink or blue food coloring) so your volcano erupts with colored lava. We love the “Pink or Blue, Either Way We’ll LAVA you” theme from @bspokeevents.
(7) Scratch Card: Grab some of these pretty Scratch Cards from Designing Moments and distribute to your guests. When it’s time for the big reveal, have everyone scratch to see if it’s a boy or a girl!
(8) Sparklers: If you can find pink or blue sparklers, this idea from The Magnolia Mamas is sure to spark joy!
(9) Straws Gender Reveal: These fun Gender Reveal straws turn pink or blue when placed in your guests’ ice-cold drinks. Have them place the straws in their drinks at the same time, or you could even not tell them, and see if they catch on to the surprise!
No matter how you choose to reveal your baby’s gender, make sure it’s something special and meaningful to you as it will always be a part of your baby’s story. Taking great photos or hiring a photographer to do so will honor the occasion and help you to remember the event for years to come.
Jill is a Creative Director at a marketing agency who also runs her blog, Kentucky Makeup Junkie. She lives in Northern Kentucky with her nine-year-old daughter, five-year-old son, and firefighter husband. She’s a beauty fanatic, fashion lover, and Mompreneur that loves to get her hands on anything creative. Follow along with her on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest.