whatmomslove | May 12, 2016 | 2
The Best Last Minute Holiday Deals for Your Kids
You’ve probably got an inbox full of holiday discount alerts right now, but we’re here to cut through the clutter and point out some of the best current deals for your kids — most of these items are ones we highly recommended in our Non‐Toy and Toy Gift Guides, so you can rest assured they’ll make incredible gifts.
Our team has been spending hours scouring the web and we’re not focusing on the “junky” stuff (because a great deal on something not‐so‐great isn’t really a deal at all, right?!), only the items that we’ve tested, experienced and know will be played with over and over again.
Please note: post contains affiliate links; all offers are subject to availability and change
Introducing our Amazon storefront!
First things first, we want to introduce you to our very own storefront on Amazon — pretty neat, right?! We’re currently using this store to include some of the best deals and discounts we’ve discovered that are available via Amazon. Unfortunately you can’t see the regular price on the storefront (ie. the awesome markdown!), but if you hover over the little comment/speech bubble on each one, you can see where we’ve marked the discount (see screenshot below).
Hop over to check it out — it’s your new one‐stop shop for amazing deals on our top rated items!
You’ll currently find discounts up to 50% off of toys, games and books, including some of our favorites:
- SpikeBall: Super fun game for tweens and teens…play indoors or out (popular one to bring to the beach!) (20% off)
- Jellycat Soft Cloth Books: Great first tactile books for babies — makes a great stocking stuffer and comes in tons of different versions (17% off)
- Richard Scarry’s Busytown Eye Found It Game: Not a huge discount at 11% off, but one of the best games for kids of all ages!
- Worry Eaters: Featured in our Best Dolls Gift Guide, these fun creatures with a zipped mouth pocket are designed to hold all your kids worries (so they don’t have to), or at the very least, carry their favorite treasures. Huge hit with kids! (20% off)
- Roald Dahl Collection — 15 Book Set: Go BIG with this incredible set of 15 classic Dahl stories (including Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!) — super impressive gift and perfect for read‐alouds or read‐to‐self. (Hurry, 50% off!)
- B. Dr. Doctor Medical Kit: High‐quality Dr’s kit with great carrying case (40% off)
- Battat Take‐Apart Crane: Featured in our Best Cars/Truck gift guide — kids love the working drill and rebuilding over and over again (40% off)
- B. H2 Whoa! Water Doodling Drawing Board: Mess‐free and super engaging for young tots…keep it in your car for when the going gets tough! (almost 50% off!)
- Hohner 4‐piece Baby Band: One of our favorite Stocking Stuffers for babies! (38% off)
- KidzLane Walkie Talkies: The best walkie talkies we tested — super easy to use and so fun for siblings and play dates! (currently 25% off)
- Q&A a Day for Kids: a 3‐year Journal: One of THE best gifts you can get for your kids and it’s on sale!!
- Just Between Us: Mother & Daughter Journal + Between Mom and Me: Mother/Son Journal: Amazing journals you can use to create an open dialogue with your tweens/teens — we had RAVE reviews on these!
- Educational Insights Magic Moves Electronic Wand: a must‐have for the winter — gets your kids up and moving! (almost 50% off!)
- Kwik Stix: Our favorite new product in the Arts & Crafts category — stock up on these mess free paint sticks! (20% off)
- Magic Tree House Boxed Set, Books 1–4: The perfect starter read‐aloud books featured in our Best Intro to Chapter Book Series — they’re also great for emerging readers! (35% off)
- 100‐Trick Magic Show: Great set for your kids to practice some really neat tricks (almost 50% off!)
- Automoblox: Perfect for car lovers and those that like to build/rebuild (23% off)
- BoogieBoard LCD Writing Tablet: Kid’s loooove these cool writing boards where they use a special stylus to write notes, play games or draw, and then with the press of a button, it magically disappears. These are amazing in keep in your purse for your kids to use at restaurants, in the car or at the grocery store. (almost 50% off!)
- VTech Kidizoom DUO Camera: We featured this awesome kid’s camera in our Non‐Toy Practical Gift Guide and it is currently on a big price reduction, but hurry, they won’t last long! (25% off)
- Magformers: We included these 3D magnetic building blocks in our Best Toys for Builders gift guide and they are currently on crazy sale. Including this great 62‐piece starter set (33% off) and this 144 piece set (50% off)
- Thames & Kosmos Remote Control Machines: We love all the engineering kits by Thames & Kosmos (we featured many of them in our Non‐Toy Gift Guides) and they currently have some unheard of prices. If your kids like building things like LEGOs, plus like using remote controls, this Remote Control Machines set will be a huge hit!
- Calico Critters Luxury Townhouse: Best price we’ve seen at 38% off!
- Alex Toys: One of our go‐to brands for Arts & Crafts, ALEX toys is currently offering big discounts on some of their best sets, including: My Giant Busy Box (57% off!!), Spa Hair Chalk Salon (48% off; great for tweens/teens and featured in our Stocking Stuffer Guide), Tots Art Start (48% off) and My First Sewing Kit (50% off!)
- Alex Draw Like A Pro: Kids love this “machine” which projects images onto their paper to trace (lowest price we’ve seen at 63% off!)
- Playdoh Fun Factory: the classic Fun Factory squeezer + playdoh for only $4!!
- Anki Overdrive: Fast & Furious Edition: We featured this super cool system in our Best Gifts for Vehicle Lovers gift guide Think of your typical slot‐race track amped up with a powerful computer/virtual reality component — so while you’re racing physical cars on a race track in front of you, you’re controlling their moves (speed, weapons, stunts, etc) via a tablet or phone. Perfect for kids age 7–14+ (30% off)
- Osmo Genius Kit: Osmo has revolutionized the way kids can use their iPads, turning them into engaged participants who are thinking, learning and using their imagination with dynamic hands‐on play. These don’t go on sale very often and make a very exciting gift! (30% off)
- Garmin Vivo Fit Jr.: Editor’s choice item in our Non‐Toy Practical Gift Guide — this wearable activity tracker watch for kids 4–9 tracks their steps, sleep and percentage towards their 60 minute daily activity goal. There’s also a free app you can sync where you can create a personalized chore system which has been a game changer for our families. Your kids won’t ever want to take it off! (38% off!)
- KidKraft: This is one of our most favorite brands for large scale toys including play kitchens, doll houses and train tables. There are incredible deals on Amazon right now for some of these items! Including the Uptown Dollhouse (40% off), the Uptown Espresso Kitchen (44% off) and Vintage Kitchen (33% off — less than $100!) and the Waterfall Mountain Train (20% off)
- KidKraft Espresso Toaster Set: Perfect set to go with your child’s new play kitchen — 70% off!!!
- Hape Quadrilla Wooden Marble Run: The best marble run system on the market! Makes a wonderful quiet time toy. (40% off)
- Melissa & Doug Dust, Sweep, Mop Pretend Play Set: kids love to play house with this cleaning set and bonus…they clean the house while they’re at it! (23% off)
- Blue Orange Games: Some of our highest rated games from our Best Board Games gift guide are on sale, including: Gobblet Gobblers (a waaay more fun version of tic‐tac‐toe), NADA! (makes a great Stocking Stuffer), Kingdomino (perfect for family game night), and Dr. Eureka.
- Little Tikes Jump n’ Slide Bouncer: Our top‐rated bouncy house — perfect for play dates, birthday parties and for blowing off some steam! (save 40%)
- Little Tikes 3′ Trampoline: perfect for those cold winter days when your kids have energy to burn! (44% off)
+ many more…head over to our Amazon Storefront to see them all!
Even More Discounts!
Amazon isn’t the only one throwing last‐minute discounts at holiday shoppers. Take a look at these great deals we found from our other favorite retailers, shops and subscription sites.
Target is running a great promotion on toys where you save $10 when you spend $50 or save $25 when you spend $100 (no promo code needed). They are also offering free holiday shipping if you order by 11:59CST on 12/20…you’ll get your gifts by 12/23!
One fantastic find we can’t help but feature from Target is the Disney Princess Collection (11 dolls!). This is the lowest we’ve seen this Disney Princess huuuuge collection go in a long time. We can rarely find it under $90 and right now it’s under $75 and you’ll get an additional $10 off with their current promo! We featured this in our Princess Gift Guide and the massive size of it will make any little girl’s Christmas!
Learning Resources has a huge selection of educational and engaging toys and games for all ages. They’re developed by top educators and have been trusted by teachers and parents for over 30 years, so you can’t go wrong. Right now you can get 30% off their selection + free shipping using this link + code: GIFT30.
A few recommendations: we love their Primary Science Lab Kit for toddlers and preschoolers (our testers played with water, the dropper and beakers for a long time after the experiments were over!), Gears! Gears! Gears! set for creative construction and Mini Muffin Match‐Up for sorting, counting and fine‐motor development.
Pottery Barn Kids
We’ve featured countless items from PBkids high‐quality selection in our gift guides, and they currently have 20% off + free shipping through 12/16 with code: HOHOHO.
Land of Nod
Grace Personalized — Custom Rings
iSeeMe Personalized Books
Another one of our favorite places for personalized books is iSeeMe and they have a wide selection of fun Christmas titles and gift sets. Everything at iSeeMe is currently 30% off with code: CELEBRATE (until 12/17)+ get 5% cash back if you sign‐up with Ebates
This is one of our favorite Subscription Box companies that we featured in our Best Gifts to Receive in Your Mailbox Guide. They offer 5 different subscription boxes based on your child’s age (from newborn to 16+) and stage — they are all extremely high‐quality, beautifully designed and thoughtfully crafted to stimulate your child’s passions.
It’s the last weekend for free rush delivery for 12/24 so hurry!
Another one of our top‐rated subscription boxes is KidStir. We love that they create an experience for kids that not only educates them, but also gets them excited about food. Their monthly kits are so well‐crafted and center around a theme like Appetizers, Snacks, Salads or Breakfast. Each contains 3 fun recipes, a shopping list, extra info on the foods involved, games, activities and our favorite: 2 top‐quality kid‐sized tools. Kidstir is a total winner in our books – informing kids about food, and arming them to make healthier choices
A 1‐year magazine subscription to all of the brillant Highlights family magazines (they have ones age‐appropriate titles for toddlers to tweens) are now $20 off! Featured in our Best Gifts To Receive In Your Mailbox Guide.
DEAL ALERT: $20 off all 1‐year magazine subscriptions using this link
Plus deals on clothing:
- Tea Collection: use this link + code: JOLLY to get 20% off + free shipping (orders over $50)
- Hanna Andersson: $25 Kids PJs!
- Gap: up to 50% off everything + extra 20% off with code: GIFTNOW
- Old Navy: up to 60% off
- Janie and Jack: 15% off + free shipping with code SNOWFALL
- LandsEnd: 50% off full price items! (stock up on their great kids’ gloves, neckwarmers and snowpants!)
- Nordstrom: Extra 20% off sale
Want some more incredible gift ideas for your kids? Check out our incredibly popular Gift Guides:
Non‐Toy Gift Guides For Kids
- Non‐Toy Gifts For Learning & Expanding Horizons
- Non‐Toy Gifts To Spark Creativity, Imagination & Special Interests
- Non‐Toy Gifts That Are Practical (But Far From Boring)
- Non‐Toy Gifts For Making Memories
- Non‐Toy Gifts To Receive In The Mailbox
- The Best Board Games For Kids & Families (That Aren’t Candy Land or Monopoly)
Toy Gift Guides For Kids
- The Best Vehicle Toys For Car, Truck and Construction Junkies
- The Best Building Toys For Kids (From Blocks To Robots)
- The Best Gross Motor Indoor Toys For Active Kids (To Get That Energy Out!)
- The Very Best Babies, Dolls & Doll Accessories For All Ages & Stages
- The Best Doll Houses & Accessories For Your Doll‐Obsessed Girl (or Boy!)
- The Best Princess‐Themed Gifts For Your Little Princess
- NOW LIVE! The Best Gift Ideas for Super Hero & Star Wars Lovers
- 200+ Unique Stocking Stuffers For Babies To Teens (That Aren’t Junk!)
And we’re currently working on even more guides, including:
- The Best Personalized Gifts for Kids
- NOW LIVE! The Best Board Games For Kids & Families (That Aren’t Candy Land or Monopoly)
If you don’t subscribe already, make sure you don’t miss them by signing up for our newsletter, and we’ll let you know the moment they launch
Become an exclusive subscriber
Join over 300,000 subscribers & social media followers and gain access to exclusive content, freebies, discounts and more!
Holiday Deal Shopping Strategy
We’ve included some of our all‐time favorite tips for shopping the holiday deals…read on for more strategy and big money saving ideas!
Strategy #1: Don’t stop at the holidays
The biggest sales of the year happen this time of year, but don’t just think about the upcoming holidays.
Think ahead to what gifting occasions you’ll have in 2018 – birthdays, anniversaries, Easter, Father’s Day…are there items on sale that you can get now and know will still be loved in a few months time? If so, take advantage of those deals!
Strategy #2: Think big
This goes hand‐in‐hand with Strategy #1, but really think about what big ticket items you might need in the near future. Some we always suggest are:
- Bikes (we are big fans of Guardian Bikes with the safest brake system on the market, and super cool designs – get $20 OFF using this link and code: WHATMOMSLOVE)
- Beds – will your child be moving into a big girl/boy bed this year? If so, consider purchasing their new mattress and frame/headboard now (if you have a place to store it of course)
- Sporting Equipment – Amazon usually has some great Lightning Deals on Basketball nets, swing sets and more
- Bouncy House – if you have young kids, this is the gift that will pay for itself! These are brilliant for playdates, birthday parties or just for getting out some extra energy. If you’ve ever rented one, you know that it is not cheap, so get your own and use it more than once or twice, and it will more than cover the cost. Our favorite (that can actually fit inside your house if need be!) is the Little Tikes Jump n’ Slide Bouncer which is currently 30% off, under $200!
- Car Seats – will your child need to move‐up car seats this coming year? Have a convertible or booster seat ready! (if you’re unsure…have a read of our Car Seat Safety post which outlines all the latest guidelines)
Strategy #3: Don’t just think about your kids
2 words: Birthday. Parties.
We’re always on the look‐out for great deals on some of my favorite birthday party gifts (all of the games on our Best Board Games Gift Guide for instance) – ones which will get a great response from all kids, no matter their specific interests.
If there’s a good deal, we’ll stock up on these – you’ll save some cash and always having gifts on hand will ultimately save you time and stress later.
Strategy #4: Sign up for money saving online resources
If you don’t already have Amazon Prime, now is the time to try it. You get unlimited 2‐day FREE shipping (no minimum order size!) plus fun extras like access to thousands of movies, TV shows, Kindle books and more.
Oh, and one more big bonus of having Amazon Prime: you get 30‐minute early access to select Amazon Lightning Deals, which can mean the difference between scoring a huge money saver, and well, not.
Another incredible online money‐saver we started using this year is Ebates. Now we have to admit, we were totally skeptical about this at first and thought “how can they just give you cash back for shopping online, there must be some catch”. But amazingly, there isn’t!
Ebates gives you a certain percentage cash back if you use their affiliate links to big‐name websites like Amazon, Nordstrom, Old Navy, J. Crew and thousands more. Ebates gets a commission for referring you, which they then split with you in the form of cash‐back. Total win‐win.
It’s 100% free to use and super simple. You can either click on a link to the online retailer of your choice via their website, or you can install the Ebates Cash Back Button on your browser (we have this and it makes it SO easy!) which will pop‐up each time you access one of their accepted merchants – then all you do is click the button to activate your cash-back…it doesn’t send you to any other web page, you keep shopping as usual, and the $ earned on your purchase is then automatically put in your Ebates account. You can get your cash‐back via PayPal or a mailed check.
Now is a great time to sign‐up for Ebates because over the holidays they are increasing their cash back even more — some stores to double or triple the percentage!
(note: this is not a sponsored message, just something we love and wish we had known about sooner!)